How To | Complete A Running Fitness Test
The following is a step-by-step guide to how you can complete your own fitness test with nothing other than a heart rate monitor and a flat stretch of tarmac…
Before starting, it is important that you allow yourself a minimum of 24 hours of rest. It is also advisable that the test is completed first thing in the morning following a good nights sleep before the onset of fatiuge can have an effect of results. This same method should be applied with each re-test that you perform at a later stage to allow for accuracy in the comparison of your results.
- Start by warming-up with 5 – 10 minutes of easy jogging.
- Then, start your heart rate monitor and begin a 30 minute time trial. During this time you want to run at your maximum sustainable pace.
- At minute 20, hit the ‘lap split button’ on your watch to start a timed split.
- On minute 30, stop your timed split before ending the workout on your watch.
- Cool-down with an easy 5 – 10 minute jog, allowing your heart rate to slowly return to a steady-state.
- Once completed, go back into your watch files to determine your average heart rate for your timed split from minute 20 – minute 30. This is your lactate threshold heart rate.
Next, you’ll use this data to calculate your new heart rate zones. This can be found here: How To | Calculate Heart Rate Zones.