Sugar Free Hot Cross Buns
Eating clean over the Easter period seems an almost impossible feat, with delicious chocolates and sugar-coated savory treats at every glance. I decided that it’s about the right time to develop a guilt-free, sugar-free Easter themed treat to help keep your buns looking hot and on-track to those fitness goals.
Making between 4 and 6 nutrient dense buns per batch, here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tbsp dried yeast
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 4 dates
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit (goji berries, rasins, mango, etc.)
- 1/4 cup flower
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tbsp water
- Warm almond milk to luke-warm temperature then, add yeast and coconut sugar before stirring. Once mixed, set aside in a warm place.
- In a food processor or blender, mix the dates, water, seeds and olive oil before adding your milk-yeast mixture from step 1.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your cinnamon, vanilla essence and dried fruit with your flower.
- Slowly pour and mix your wet ingredients (from step 2) into your flower mix into a dough before covering and placing in a warm place for +/- 45 mins.
- After +/- 45 mins, your dough should have approximately doubled in size. Turn your oven onto 180 degrees celsius.
- Lightly flower a surface before transferring your dough and kneeding.
- Once all the air is out, kneed the dough into 4 – 6 equal sized balls before covering and placing in a warm spot for another 15 mins.
- Whilst the dough is resting, mix your cross ingredients together and transfer into a piping bag (or a zip-lock with the corner snipped off) before piping your crosses (or any other pattern you desire) on the top of the buns.
- Transfer the buns into a baking tray and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Whilst the buns are baking, mix your glaze ingredients together.
- After 25 minutes (or when the tops of the buns are golden), remove from the oven and immedietly spread your glaze over the top.
- Whilst warm, cut them open and serve with a smear of nut butter or jam.
Don’t be shy to substitute the main ingredients for some of your own personal favorites to create your very own version of the traditional hot cross bun and share it with me by tagging @Trainer_Hinton in your Instagram posts!